I support the following propositions:
- The United States has a long history of honoring and protecting human rights.
- The United States also has abrogated the rights of various groups including Native Americans, African-Americans, women, some immigrants, and some individuals on the basis of sexual orientation.
- The United States operates best when it extends human rights to as many people as possible.
- Civil liberties have been primarily protected by the federal government, not states. We should embrace U.S. Supreme Court decisions that protect the rights of those who do not receive equal protection under the law.
- Issues of civil liberties are complicated. In general when we extend a right to one person it means we are taking another right from a different person. We must make decisions based on fairness and be particularly mindful of protecting the rights of minorities and people who are at an economic disadvantage.